Laura Wesley Al-Wir, General Counsel
Laura is a New-York-qualified attorney with over 20 years of experience working in the international legal arena in the United States, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America. She has extensive experience working with governments, private companies and non-governmental organizations.
Focusing mainly on contracting and compliance, Laura has worked on a variety of complex cross border projects in the areas of finance, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory work. Laura is well versed in the complexities of both public and private sector contracts, including drafting and negotiating key legal documents and ensuring compliance.
In addition to her legal work, Laura has extensive experience in designing and developing projects, monitoring and evaluation and project management. She has been based in the Middle East for the last 13 years. Projects that Laura has worked on include:
- Handling the negotiations on three multi-million-dollar communications projects, including drafting and negotiating contracts and agreements governed by Jordanian law, Lebanese law, UAE law, New Zealand law, New York law and US Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Developing, securing and implementing a multi-year monitoring and evaluation project for USAID in Jordan.
- Conducting a Monitoring and Evaluation, and Reporting Needs Assessment for IOM's Iraq Mission, including assessing IOM-Iraq's current internal and external monitoring and evaluation and reporting systems.
- Representing a US contractor in the financing of an Egyptian oil refinery, including negotiating the terms of loan agreement and the supporting documents with the Overseas Private Investment Corporation and local Egyptian counsel.
- Drafting financing and corporate governance documents, conducting legal due diligence, and negotiating with banks, governments and power companies on power projects in Peru, the Dominican Republic and Mexico.
Laura has a Bachelor of Science, Foreign Service, from the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown and a Juris Doctorate from the University of Virginia. She also was a Peace Corps Volunteer, working in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.